Reprod. Nutr. Dev.
Volume 46, Number 5, September-October 20065th annual INRA-Meeting: Mammary gland and milk
|Page(s)||589 - 598|
|Published online||23 September 2006|
References of Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 46 (2006) 589-598
- Davis SR, Farr VC, Stelwagen K. Regulation of yield loss and milk composition during once-daily milking: a review. Livest Prod Sci 1999, 59: 77-94 [CrossRef].
- Rémond B, Pomiès D. Once-daily milking of dairy cows: a review of recent French experiments. Anim Res 2005, 54: 427-442 [EDP Sciences] [CrossRef].
- Coulon JB, Rémond B. Variations in milk output and milk protein content in response to the level of energy supply to the dairy cow: a review. Livest Prod Sci 1991, 29: 31-47 [CrossRef].
- Auldist MJ, Prosser CG. Differential effects of short-term once-daily milking on milk yield, milk composition and concentrations of selected blood metabolites in cows with low or high pasture intake. Proc NZ Soc Anim Prod 1998, 58: 41-43.
- Lacy-Hulbert SJ, Woolford MW, Nicholas GD, Prosser CG, Stelwagen K. Effect of milking frequency and pasture intake on milk yield and composition of late lactation cows. J Dairy Sci 1999, 82: 1232-1239 [PubMed].
- Rémond B, Aubailly S, Chilliard Y, Dupont D, Pomiès D, Petit M. Combined effects of once-daily milking and feeding level in the first three weeks of lactation on milk production and enzyme activities, and nutritional status, in Holstein cows. Anim Res 2002, 51: 101-117 [EDP Sciences] [CrossRef].
- Rémond B, Pomiès D, Pradel P. Effet de la monotraite des vaches laitières sur leur production, selon le niveau de distribution d'aliments concentrés. 12 Rencontre Recherche Ruminants, 2005, p 229-232.
- Johnson CL. The effect of feeding in early lactation on feed intake, yields of milk, fat and protein and on live-weight change over one lactation cycle in dairy cows. J Agric Sci Camb 1984, 103: 629-637.
- Friggens NC, Emmans GC, Kyriazakis I, Oldham JD, Lewis M. Feed intake relative to stage of lactation for dairy cows consuming total mixed diets with a high or low ratio of concentrate to forage. J Dairy Sci 1998, 81: 2228-2239 [PubMed].
- Kaufmann W, Hagemeister H. Composition of milk. In: HO Gravert (Ed), Dairy-cattle production. Elsevier Science Publishers BV, Amsterdam, 1987, p 107-171.
- Faulkner A, Peaker M. Regulation of mammary glucose metabolism in lactation. In: MC Neville, Daniel CW (Eds), The Mammary gland: development, regulation and function, Plenum Press, New York, 1987, p 535-562.
- Scott RA, Bauman DE, Clark JH. Cellular gluconeogenesis by lactating bovine mammary tissue. J Dairy Sci 1976, 59: 50-56 [PubMed].
- Davis SR, Collier RJ. Mammary blood flow and regulation of substrate supply for milk synthesis. J Dairy Sci 1985, 68: 1041-1058 [PubMed].
- Annison EF, Bickerstaffe R, Linzell JL. Glucose and fatty acid metabolism in cows producing milk of low fat content. J Agric Sci Camb 1974, 82: 87-95.
- Rulquin H. Régulation de la synthèse et de la sécrétion des constituants du lait chez les ruminants. 4 Rencontre Recherche Ruminants, 1997, p 327-338.
- Rulquin H. Effects on digestion and metabolism in the dairy cow of infusions of volatile fatty acids into the rumen and caseinate into the duodenum. II. General and mammary metabolism. Reprod Nutr Dev 1983, 23: 1029-1042.
- Zhao FQ, Moseley WM, Tucker HA, Kennelly JJ. Regulation of glucose transporter gene expression in mammary gland, muscle, and fat of lactating cows by administration of bovine growth hormone and bovine growth hormone-releasing factor. J Anim Sci 1996, 74: 183-189 [PubMed].
- Zhao FQ, Glimm DR, Kennelly JJ. Distribution of mammalian facilitative glucose transporter messenger RNA in bovine tissues. Int J Biochem 1993, 25: 1897-1903 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Komatsu T, Itoh F, Kushibiki S, Hodate K. Changes in gene expression of glucose transporters in lactating and nonlactating cows. J Anim Sci 2005, 83: 557-564 [PubMed].
- Xiao C, Cant JP. Glucose transporter in bovine mammary epithelial cells is an asymmetric carrier that exhibits cooperativity and trans-stimulation. Am J Physiol, Cell Physiol 2003, 285: C1226-C1234.
- Davis CL, Bauman DE. General metabolism associated with synthesis of milk. In: BL Larson, Smith VR (Eds), Lactation: a comprehensive treatise, Academic Press, New York, 1974, p 3-29.
- Baldwin RL, Smith NE. Milk production in dynamic biochemistry of animal production. PM Riis (Ed), Elsevier Science Publisher BV, Amsterdam, 1983, p 359-386.
- Knight CH, Dewhurst RJ. Once daily milking of dairy cows: relationship between yield loss and cisternal milk storage. J Dairy Res 1994, 61: 441-449 [PubMed].
- Bickerstaffe R, Annison EF, Linzell JL. Metabolism of glucose, acetate, lipids and amino acids in lactating dairy cows. J Agric Sci Camb 1974, 82: 71-85.
- Delamaire E, Guinard-Flament J. Longer milking intervals alter mammary epithelial permeability and the udder's ability to extract nutrients. J Dairy Sci 2006, 86: 2007-2016.
- Guinard-Flament J, Rulquin H. Effect of once vs. twice daily milking on mammary blood flow (MBF) in dairy cows. Livest Prod Sci 2000, 70: 180.
- Delamaire E, Guinard-Flament J. Increasing milking intervals decreases the mammary blood flow and mammary uptake of nutrients in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2006, 89: 3439-3446 [PubMed].
- Farr VC, Prosser CG, Davis SR. Effects of mammary engorgement and feed withdrawal on microvascular function in lactating goat mammary glands. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 2000, 279: H1813-H1818 [PubMed].
- Fleet IR, Peaker M. Mammary function and its control at the cessation of lactation in the goat. J Physiol 1978, 279: 491-507 [PubMed].
- Wilde CJ, Knight CH. Milk yield and mammary function in goats during and after once-daily milking. J Dairy Res 1990, 57: 441-447 [PubMed].
- Farr VC, Stelwagen K, Kerr MA, Davis SR, Eichler SJ. Effect of once daily milking (ODM) on enzyme activities in the bovine mammary gland. Proc NZ Soc Anim Prod 1995, 55: 12-13.
- Bryson JM, Wilde CJ, Addey CV. Effect of unilateral changes in milking frequency on mammary mRNA concentrations in the lactating goat. Biochem Soc Trans 1993, 21: 294S [PubMed].
- Boutinaud M, Rousseau C, Keisler DH, Jammes H. Growth hormone and milking frequency act differently on goat mammary gland in late lactation. J Dairy Sci 2003, 86: 509-520 [PubMed].
- Li P, Rudland PS, Fernig DG, Finch LM, Wilde CJ. Modulation of mammary development and programmed cell death by the frequency of milk removal in lactating goats. J Physiol 1999, 519: 885-900 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Holst BD, Hurley WL, Nelson DR. Involution of the bovine mammary gland: histological and ultrastructural changes. J Dairy Sci 1987, 70: 935-944 [PubMed].
- Hurley WL. Mammary gland function during involution. J Dairy Sci 1989, 72: 1637-1646 [PubMed].
- Stelwagen K. Effect of milking frequency on mammary functioning and shape of the lactation curve. J Dairy Sci 2001, 84: E204-E211.
- McClure TJ. Effects of food intake and composition on the concentration of glucose in the blood of lactation cattle. Aust J Agric Res 1977, 28: 333-339 [CrossRef].
- McClure TJ. Effect of feed quality and stage of lactation on the concentration of glucose in the blood of lactating cattle. Aust J Agric Res 1977, 28: 341-344 [CrossRef].
- Wieghart M, Slepetis R, Elliot JM, Smith DF. Glucose absorption and hepatic gluconeogenesis in dairy cows fed diets varying in forage content. J Nutr 1986, 116: 839-850 [PubMed].
- Linzell JL. The effect of infusions of glucose, acetate and amino acids on hourly milk yield in fed, fasted and insulin-treated goats. J Physiol 1967, 190: 347-357 [PubMed].
- Chaiyabutr N, Faulkner A, Peaker M. Effects of starvation on the cardiovascular system, water balance and milk secretion in lactating goats. Res Vet Sci 1980, 28: 291-295 [PubMed].
- Kronfeld DS, Raggi F, Ramberg CF. Mammary blood flow and ketone body metabolism in normal, fasted, and ketotic cows. Am J Physiol 1968, 215: 218-227 [PubMed].
- Jones RG, Williamson DH. Alterations in mammary-gland blood flow and glucose metabolism in the lactating rat induced by short-term starvation and refeeding. Biosci Rep 1984, 4: 421-426 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Lough DS, Beede DL, Wilcox CJ. Effects of feed intake and thermal stress on mammary blood flow and other physiological measurements in lactating dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 1990, 73: 325-332 [PubMed].
- Brosh A, Aharoni Y, Degen AA, Wright D, Young B. Estimation of energy expenditure from heart rate measurements in cattle maintained under different conditions. J Anim Sci 1998, 76: 3054-3064 [PubMed].
- Hartmann PE, Lascelles AK. The effect of starvation on the uptake of the precursors of milk fat by the bovine mammary gland. Aust J Biol Sci 1965, 18: 1025-1034 [PubMed].
- Chaiyabutr N, Faulkner A, Peaker M. Changes in the concentrations of the minor constituents of goat's milk during starvation and on refeeding of the lactating animal and their relationship to mammary gland metabolism. Br J Nutr 1981, 45: 149-157 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Threadgold LC, Kuhn NJ. Monosaccharide transport in the mammary gland of the intact lactating rat. Biochem J 1984, 218: 213-219 [PubMed].
- Prosser CG. Mechanism of the decrease in hexose transport by mouse mammary epithelial cells caused by fasting. Biochem J 1988, 249: 149-154 [PubMed].
- Wilde CJ, Kuhn NJ. Lactose synthesis in the rat, and the effects of litter size and malnutrition. Biochem J 1979, 182: 287-294 [PubMed].
- Chaiyabutr N, Faulkner A, Peaker M. The utilization of glucose for the synthesis of milk components in the fed and starved lactating goat in vivo. Biochem J 1980, 186: 301-308 [PubMed].
- Chaiyabutr N, Komolvanich S, Preuksgorn S, Chanpongsang S. Comparative studies on the utilization of glucose in the mammary gland of crossbred holstein cattle feeding on different types of roughage during different stages of lactation. Asian-Australas J Anim Sci 2000, 13: 334-347.
- Norgaard J, Sorensen A, Sorensen MT, Andersen JB, Sejrsen K. Mammary cell turnover and enzyme activity in dairy cows: effects of milking frequency and diet energy density. J Dairy Sci 2005, 88: 975-982 [PubMed].