Reprod. Nutr. Dev.
Volume 44, Number 5, September-October 2004
|Page(s)||499 - 508|
References of Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 44 499-508
- Linzell JL. Measurement of udder volume in live goats as an index of mammary growth and function. J Dairy Sci 1966, 49: 307-311.
- Sorensen A, Alamer M, Knight CH. Physiological characteristics of high genetic merit and low genetic merit dairy cows: a comparison. In: Proc Br Soc Anim Sci 1998, p 4.
- Nagai J, Sarkar NK. Relationship between milk yield and mammary gland development in mice. J Dairy Sci 1978, 61: 733-739.
- Tucker HA. Quantitative estimates of mammary growth during various physiological states: a review. J Dairy Sci 1987, 70: 1958-1966.
- Anderson RR. Mammary gland growth in sheep. J Anim Sci 1975, 41: 118-123.
- Knight CH, Peaker M. Mammary development and regression during lactation in goats in relation to milk secretion. Q J Exp Physiol 1984, 69: 331-338.
- Anderson RR, Harness JR, Snead AF, Salah MS. Mammary growth pattern in goats during pregnancy and lactation. J Dairy Sci 1981, 64: 427-432.
- Knight CH, Wilde CJ. Mammary growth during lactation: implications for increasing milk yield. J Dairy Sci 1987, 70: 1991-2000.
- Capuco AV, Wood DL, Baldwin R, McLeod K, Paape MJ. Mammary cell number, proliferation, and apoptosis during a bovine lactation: relation to milk production and effect of bST. J Dairy Sci 2001, 84: 2177-2187 [PubMed].
- Capuco AV, Akers RM, Smith JJ. Mammary growth in Holstein cows during the dry period: quantification of nucleic acids and histology. J Dairy Sci 1997, 80: 477-487.
- Franke WW, Keenan TW. Mitosis in milk secreting epithelial cells of mammary gland: an ultrastructural study. Differentiation 1979, 13: 81-88.
- Traurig HH. A radioautographic study of cell proliferation in the mammary gland of the pregnant mouse. Anat Rec 1967, 159: 239-247.
- Deome KB, Fauklin LJ Jr, Bern HA, Blair PB. Development of mammary tumors from hyperplastic alveolar nodules transplanted into gland-free mammary fat pads of female C3H mice. Cancer Res 1959, 19: 515-520.
- Smith GH, Medina D. A morphologically distinct candidate for an epithelial stem cell in mouse mammary gland. J Cell Sci 1988, 90: 173-183.
- Kordon EC, Smith GH. An entire functional mammary gland may comprise the progeny from a single cell. Development 1998, 125: 1921-1930.
- Ellis S, Capuco AV. Cell proliferation in bovine mammary epithelium: identification of the primary proliferative cell population. Tissue Cell 2002, 34: 155-163.
- Quarrie LH, Addey CV, Wilde CJ. Programmed cell death during mammary tissue involution induced by weaning, litter removal, and milk stasis. J Cell Physiol 1996, 168: 559-569 [PubMed].
- Strange R, Li F, Saurer S, Burkhardt A, Friis RR. Apoptotic cell death and tissue remodelling during mouse mammary gland involution. Development 1992, 115: 49-58.
- Wilde CJ, Addey CV, Li P, Fernig DG. Programmed cell death in bovine mammary tissue during lactation and involution. Exp Physiol 1997, 82: 943-953.
- Boutinaud M, Flament-Ginard J, Jammes H. Analysis of gene expression involved in mammary cell death; a clue to the milk potential of the mammary gland. 10e Rencontres Recherches Ruminants, Paris, 3-4 dec 2003, p 49-52.
- Li P, Rudland PS, Fernig DG, Finch LM, Wilde CJ. Modulation of mammary development and programmed cell death by the frequency of milk removal in lactating goats. J Physiol 1999, 519 Pt 3: 885-900.
- Wareski P, Motyl T, Ryniewicz Z, Orzechowski A, Gajkowska B, Wojewodzka U, Ploszaj T. Expression of apoptosis-related proteins in mammary gland of goat. Small Rumin Res 2001, 40: 279-289.
- Capuco AV, Akers RM. Mammary involution in dairy animals. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 1999, 4: 137-144.
- Baldi A, Modina S, Cheli F, Gandolfi F, Pinotti L, Scesi LB, Fantuz F, Dell'Orto V. Bovine somatotropin administration to dairy goats in late lactation: effects on mammary gland function, composition and morphology. J Dairy Sci 2002, 85: 1093-1102 [PubMed].
- Boutinaud M, Jammes H. Potential uses of milk epithelial cells: a review. Reprod Nutr Dev 2002, 42: 133-147.
- Molenaar AJ, Davis SR, Wilkins RJ. Expression of alpha-lactalbumin, alpha-S1-casein, and lactoferrin genes is heterogeneous in sheep and cattle mammary tissue. J Histochem Cytochem 1992, 40: 611-618 [PubMed].
- Molenaar AJ, Kuys YM, Davis SR, Wilkins RJ, Mead PE, Tweedie JW. Elevation of lactoferrin gene expression in developing, ductal, resting, and regressing parenchymal epithelium of the ruminant mammary gland. J Dairy Sci 1996, 79: 1198-1208 [PubMed].
- Welsch U, Feuerhake F, van Aarde R, Buchheim W, Patton S. Histo- and cytophysiology of the lactating mammary gland of the African elephant (Loxodonta africana). Cell Tissue Res 1998, 294: 485-501 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Keys JE, Capuco AV, Akers RM, Djiane J. Comparative study of mammary gland development and differentiation between beef and dairy heifers. Domest Anim Endocrinol 1989, 6: 311-319.
- Sorensen A, Sorensen MT, Andersen JB, Ingvartsen K.L., Serjrsen K. Effect of milking frequency and diet on mammary development in lactating dairy cows. Abstract of the 51st Annual Meeting of European Association for Animal production 2000, p 234.
- Sorensen A, Knight CH. Effect of milking frequency, nutrition and calving season on lactation persistency. Abstract of the 51st Annual Meeting of European Association for Animal production 2000, p 219.
- Yeo JM, Knight CH, Chamberlain DG. Effects of changes in dietary amino acid balance on milk yield and mammary function in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2003, 86: 1436-1444.
- Lee JK, VanRaden PM, Norman HD, Wiggans GR, Meinert TR. Relationship of yield during early lactation and days open during current lactation with 305-day yield. J Dairy Sci 1997, 80: 771-776.
- Roche JR. Effect of pregnancy on milk production and bodyweight from identical twin study. J Dairy Sci 2003, 86: 777-783.
- Peaker M, Linzell JL. The effects of oestrus and exogenous oestrogens on milk secretion in the goat. J Endocrinol 1974, 61: 231-240.
- Delbecchi L, Miller N, Petitclerc D, Lacasse P. Induction of milk yiles decrease and mammary gland involution in lactating Holstein cows and female rates. J Dairy Sci 2002, Suppl 1: 85.
- Amos HE, Kiser T, Loewenstein M. Influence of milking frequency on productive and reproductive efficiencies of dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 1985, 68: 732-739.
- Campos MS, Wilcox CJ, Head HH, Webb DW, Hayen J. Effects on production of milking three times daily on first lactation Holsteins and Jerseys in Florida. J Dairy Sci 1994, 77: 770-773.
- Knight CH. Milk yield responses to sequential treatments with recombinant bovine somatotropin and frequent milking in lactating goats. J Dairy Res 1992, 59: 115-122.
- Wilde CJ, Henderson AJ, Knight CH, Blatchford DR, Faulkner A, Vernon RG. Effects of long-term thrice-daily milking on mammary enzyme activity, cell population and milk yield in the goat. J Anim Sci 1987, 64: 533-539 [PubMed].
- Hillerton JE, Knight CH, Turvey A, Wheatley SD, Wilde CJ. Milk yield and mammary function in dairy cows milked four times daily. J Dairy Res 1990, 57: 285-294.
- Henderson AJ, Blatchford DR, Peaker M. The effects of long-term thrice-daily milking on milk secretion in the goat: evidence for mammary growth. Q J Exp Physiol 1985, 70: 557-565.
- Carrurthers VS, Davis SR, Norton DH. The effect of oxytocine and bovine somatotropin on production of cows milked once a day. Proc NZ Soc Anim Prod 1991, 51: 197-201.
- Lynch GA, Hunt ME, Mackenzie DDS. The effects of once daily milking as a practice in late lactation. Proc NZ Soc Anim Prod 1991, 51: 191-195.
- Wilde CJ, Knight CH. Milk yield and mammary function in goats during and after once-daily milking. J Dairy Res 1990, 57: 441-447.
- Farr VC, Stelwagen K, Kerr MA, Davis SR, Eichler SJ. Effect of once daily milking (ODM) on enzyme activities in the bovine mammary gland. Proc NZ Soc Anim Prod 1995, 55: 12-13.
- Boutinaud M, Rousseau C, Keisler DH, Jammes H. Growth hormone and milking frequency act differently on goat mammary gland in late lactation. J Dairy Sci 2003, 86: 509-520.
- Shorten PR, Vetharaniam I, Soboleva TK, Wake GC, Davis SR. Influence of milking frequency on mammary gland dynamics. J Theor Biol 2002, 218: 521-530.
- Vetharaniam I, Davis SR, Soboleva TK, Shorten PR, Wake GC. Modeling the interaction of milking frequency and nutrition on mammary gland growth and lactation. J Dairy Sci 2003, 86: 1987-1996.
- Boutinaud M, Rulquin H, Keisler DH, Djiane J, Jammes H. Use of somatic cells from goat milk for dynamic studies of gene expression in the mammary gland. J Anim Sci 2002, 80: 1258-1269.
- Capuco AV, Keys JE, Smith JJ. Somatotrophin increases thyroxine-5'-monodeiodinase activity in lactating mammary tissue of the cow. J Endocrinol 1989, 121: 205-211.
- Knight CH, Fowler PA, Wilde CJ. Galactopoietic and mammogenic effects of long-term treatment with bovine growth hormone and thrice daily milking in goats. J Endocrinol 1990, 127: 129-138.
- Geier A, Beery R, Haimsohn M, Karasik A. Insulin-like growth factor-1 inhibits cell death induced by anticancer drugs in the MCF-7 cells: involvement of growth factors in drug resistance. Cancer Invest 1995, 13: 480-486.
- Goh EL, Pircher TJ, Wood TJ, Norstedt G, Graichen R, Lobie PE. Growth hormone-induced reorganization of the actin cytoskeleton is not required for STAT5 (signal transducer and activator of transcription-5)-mediated transcription. Endocrinology 1997, 138: 3207-3215.
- Goh EL, Pircher TJ, Lobie PE. Growth hormone promotion of tubulin polymerization stabilizes the microtubule network and protects against colchicine-induced apoptosis. Endocrinology 1998, 139: 4364-4372.