Reprod. Nutr. Dev.
Volume 43, Number 1, January-February 2003
|Page(s)||117 - 129|
- Pell JM, Calderone EM, Bergman EN. Leucine and -cetoisocaproate metabolism and interconversions in fed and fasted sheep. Metabolism 1986, 35: 1005-1016.
- Young VR, Gucalp C, Rand WM, Matthews DE, Bier DM. Leucine kinetics during three weeks at submaintenance-to-maintenance intakes of leucine in man: adaptation and accomodation. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr 1987, 41: 1-18.
- Harris PM, Skene PA, Buchan V, Milne E, Calder AG, Anderson SE, Connell A, Lobley GE. Effect of food intake on hind-limb and whole-body protein metabolism in young growing sheep: chronic studies based on arterio-venous techniques. Br J Nutr 1992, 68: 389-407.
- Tessari P, Barazzoni R, Zanetti M, Vettore M, Normand S, Bruttomesso D, Beaufrere B. Protein degradation and synthesis measured with multiple amino acid tracers in vivo. Am J Phys 1996, 271: E733-E741.
- Tessari P, Barazzoni R, Zanetti M. Differences in estimates of forearm protein synthesis between leucine and phenylalanine tracers following unbalanced amino acid infusion. Metabolism 1999, 48: 1564-1569.
- Obled C, Barre F, Millward DJ, Arnal M. Whole body protein synthesis: studies with different amino acids in the rat. Am J Phys 1989, 257: E639-E646.
- Lobley GE. Protein metabolism and turnover. In: Forbes JM, France J (Eds), Quantitative aspects of ruminant digestion and metabolism. CAB International, Wallingford, 1993. p 313-339.
- Attaix D, Aurousseau E, Bayle G, Rosolowska- Huszcz D, Arnal M. Contribution of liver, skin and skeletal muscle to whole body protein synthesis in the young lamb. Br J Nutr 1988, 60: 77-84.
- Lobley GE, Harris PM, Skene PA, Brown D, Milne E, Calder AG, Anderson SE, Garlick PJ, Nevison I, Connell A. Responses in tissue protein synthesis to sub- and supra-maintenance intake in young growing sheep: comparison of large-dose and continuous-infusion techniques. Br J Nutr 1992, 68: 373-388.
- Lobley GE, Connel A, Revell DK, Bequette BJ, Brown DS, Calder AG. Splanchnic-bed transfers of amino acids in sheep blood and plasma, as monitored through use of a multiple U-13C-labelled amino acid mixture. Br J Nutr 1996, 75: 217-235.
- Reeds PJ, Fuller MF, Cadenhead A, Lobley GE, McDonald JD. Effects of changes in the intakes of protein and non-protein energy on whole body protein turnover in pigs. Br J Nutr 1981, 45: 539-546.
- Lapierre H, Bernier JF, Dubreuil P, Reynolds CK, Farmer C, Ouellet DR, Lobley GE. The effect of intake on protein metabolism across splanchnic tissues in growing beef steers. Br J Nutr 1999, 81: 457-466.
- Liu SM, Lobley GE, MacLeod NA, Kyle DJ, Chen XB, Orskov ER. Effect of long-term protein excess or deficiency on whole-body protein turnover in sheep nourished by intragastric infusion of nutrients. Br J Nutr 1995, 73: 829-839.
- Obled C, Arnal M. Age-related changes in whole-body amino acid kinetics and protein turnover in rats. J Nutr 1991, 121: 1990-1998.
- MacRae JC, Bruce LA, Brown DS, Farningham DAH, Franklin M. Absorption of amino acids from the intestine and their net flux across the mesenteric- and portal-drained viscera of lambs. J Anim Sci 1997, 75: 3307-3314.
- Lobley GE. Nutritional and hormonal control of muscle and peripheral tissue metabolism in farm species. Livest Prod Sci 1998, 56: 91-114.
- Biolo G, Tessari P, Inchiostro S, Bruttomesso D, Fongher C, Sabadin L, Fratton MG, Valerio A, Tiengo A. Leucine and phenylalanine kinetics during mixed meal ingestion: a multiple tracer approach. Am J Phys 1992, 262: E455-E463.
- Wolff JE, Bergmann EN, Williams HH. Net metabolism of plasma amino acids by liver and portal-drained viscera of fed sheep. Am J Physiol 1972, 223: 438-446.
- Hoskin SO, Savary IC, Zuur G, Lobley GE. Effect of feed intake on ovine hind-limb protein metabolism based on 13 amino acids and arterio-venous techniques. Br J Nutr 2001, 86: 577-585.
- Savary IC, Hoskin SO, Dennisson N, Lobley GE. Lysine metabolism across the hindquarter of sheep; effect of intake on transfers from plasma and the red blood cells. Br J Nutr 2001, 85: 565-573.
- Calder AG, Garden KE, Anderson SE, Lobley GE. Quantification of blood and plasma amino acids using isotope dilution electron impact gas chromatography/mass spectrometry with U-13C amino acids as internal standards. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 1999, 13: 2080-2083.
- MacRae JC, Walker A, Brown D, Lobley GE. Accretion of total protein and individual amino acids by organs and tissues of growing lambs and the ability of nitrogen balance techniques to quantitate protein retention. Anim Prod 1993, 57: 237-245.
- Barrett EJ, Revkin JH, Young LH, Zaret BL, Jacob R, Gelfand RA. An isotopic method for measurement of muscle protein synthesis and degradation in vivo. Biochem J 1987, 245: 223-228.
- Chung M, Teng C, Timmerman M, Battaglia FC. Production and utilization of amino acids by ovine placenta in vivo. Am J Phys 1998, 274: E13-E22.
- Souba WW. Glutamine a key substrate for the splanchnic bed. Ann Rev Nutr 1991, 11: 285-308.
- Stoll B, Henry PJ, Reeds PJ, Yu H, Jahoor F, Burrin DG. Catabolism dominates the first-pass intestinal metabolism of dietary essential amino acids in milk protein-fed piglets. J Nutr 1998, 128: 606-614.
- Berthiaume R, Dubreuil P, Stevenson M, McBride BW, Lapierre H. Intestinal disappearance and mesenteric and portal appearance of amino acids in dairy cows fed ruminally protected methionine. J Dairy Sci 2001, 84: 194-203.
- Tagari H, Bergman EN. Intestinal disappearance and portal blood appearance of amino acids in sheep. J Nutr 1978, 108: 790-803.
- Seal CJ, Parker DS. Effect of intraruminal propionic acid infusion on metabolism of mesenteric- and portal-drained viscera in growing steers fed a forage diet. II. Ammonia, urea, amino acids, and peptides. J Anim Sci 1996, 74: 245-256.
- Wray-Cahen D, Roberts S, Metcalf JA, Backwell FRC, Bequette BJ, Brown DS, Sutton JD, Lobley GE. Hepatic response to increased exogenous supply of plasma amino acids by infusion into the mesenteric vein of Holstein-Friesian cows in late gestation. Br J Nutr 1997, 78: 913-930.
- Lobley GE, Bremner DM, Brown DS. Response in hepatic removal of amino acids by the sheep to short-term infusions of varied amounts of an amino acid mixture into the mesenteric vein. Br J Nutr 2001, 85: 689-698.
- Lobley GE, Sinclair KD, Grant CM, Miller L, Mantle D, Calder AG, Warkup CC, Maltin CA. The effect of breed and level of nutrition on whole-body and muscle protein metabolism in pure-bred Aberdeen Angus and Charolais beef steers. Br J Nutr 2000, 84275-84284.
- Nieto R, Lobley GE. Integration of protein metabolism within the body and between organs. Proceedings of the VIIIth International Symposium on Protein Metabolism and Nutrition, 1999.
- Garlick PJ, Grant I. Amino acid infusion increases the sensitivity of muscle protein synthesis in vivo to insulin: effect of branched chain amino acids. Biochem J 1988, 254: 579-584.
- Wester TJ, Lobley GE, Birnie LM, Lomax MA. Insulin stimulates phenylalanine uptake across the hind limb in fed lambs. J Nutr 2000, 130: 608-611.
- Papet I, Grizard J, Bonin D, Arnal M. Regulation of branched chain amino acid metabolism in ruminants. Diabetes Metab 1992, 18: 122-128.
- Le Floc'h N, Mézière N, Sève B. Whole blood and plasma amino acid transfers across the portal drained viscera and liver of the pig. Reprod Nutr Dev 1999, 39: 433-442.
- Lapierre H, Blouin JP, Lobley GE, Reynolds CK, Dubreuil P, Bernier JF. Effect of protein degradability on protein splanchnic metabolism in dairy cows. Proc Nutr Soc 1997, 56: 162A.
- Lobley GE. Protein turnover - what does it mean for animal production? In: Amino acids: meat, milk and more!: CSAS - Symposium - SCSA: Quebec. 2002. p 1-15.
- Gate JJ, Parker DS, Lobley GE. The metabolic fate of the amino-N group of glutamine in the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract in 24 h-fasted sheep. Br J Nutr 1999, 81: 297-306.
- Liu SM, Mata G, Figliomeni S, Powell BC, Nesci A, Masters DG. Transsulfuration, protein synthesis rate and follicle mRNA in the skin of young Merino lambs in response to infusions of methionine and serine. Br J Nutr 2000, 83: 401-409.
- Connell A, Calder AG, Anderson SE, Lobley GE. Hepatic protein synthesis in sheep: effect of intake as monitored by use of stable-isotope-labelled glycine, leucine and phenylalanine. Br J Nutr 1997, 77: 255-271.
- Elwyn DH, Launder WJ, Parikh HC, Wise EM. Roles of plasma and erythrocytes in interorgan transport of amino acids in dogs. Am J Phys 1972, 222: 1333-1342.
- Houlier ML, Patureau-Mirand P, Durand D, Bauchart D, Lefaivre J, Bayle A. Transport des acides aminés dans l'aire splanchnique par le plasma sanguin et le sang chez le veau préruminant. Reprod Nutr Dev 1991, 31: 399-410.
- Lobley GE, Milne V, Lovie JM, Reeds PJ, Pennie K. Whole body and tissue protein synthesis in cattle. Br J Nutr 1980, 43: 491-502.
- Cherel Y, Attaix D, Rosolowska-Huszcz D, Belkhov R, Robin JP, Arnal M, Le Maho Y. Whole body and tissue protein synthesis during brief and prolonged fasting in the rat. Clin Sci 1991, 81: 611-620.
- Lapierre H, Bernier JF, Dubreuil P, Reynolds CK, Farmer C, Ouellet DR, Lobley GE. The effect of feed intake on splanchnic metabolism in growing beef steers. J Anim Sci 2000, 78: 1084-1099.
- McNurlan MA, Garlick P. Influence of nutrient intake on protein turnover. Diabetes Metab Rev 1989, 5: 165-189.
- Lobley GE, Connell A, Milne E, Newman AM, Ewing TA. Protein synthesis in splanchnic tissues of sheep offered two levels of intake. Br J Nutr 1994, 71: 3-12.
- Merry BJ, Holehan AM, Lewis SEM, Goldspink DF. The effects of ageing and chronic dietary restriction on in vivo hepatic protein synthesis in the rat. Mech Ageing Dev 1987, 39: 189-199.
Copyright INRA, EDP Sciences