Reprod. Nutr. Dev.
Volume 46, Number 4, July-August 2006Symposium: Influence of nutrition and socio-sexual context on reproduction and survival of the young in goats and sheep
|Page(s)||339 - 354|
|Published online||07 July 2006|
References of Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 46 (2006) 339-354
- Lindsay DR, Martin GB, Williams IH. Nutrition and reproduction. In: King GJ (Ed), Reproduction in Domesticated Animals: World Animal Science Series Elsevier Science Publishers, Amsterdam, Holland, 1991, p 459-491.
- Lucy MC. Mechanisms linking nutrition and reproduction in postpartum cows. Reproduction Suppl 2003, 61: 415-427.
- I'Anson H, Foster DL, Foxcroft GR, Booth PJ. Nutrition and reproduction. Oxf Rev Reprod Biol 1991, 13: 239-311 [PubMed].
- Cox NM. Control of follicular development and ovulation rate in pigs. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 1997, 52: 31-46 [PubMed].
- Hazeleger W, Soede N, B Kemp B. The effect of feeding strategy during the pre-follicular phase on subsequent follicular development in the pig. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2005, 29: 362-370 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Sharpe RM, Franks S. Environment, lifestyle and infertility-an inter-generational issue. Nat Cell Biol 2002, Suppl 4: s33-s40.
- Martin GB, Milton JTB, Davidson RH, Banchero Hunzicker GE, Lindsay DR, Blache D. Natural methods for increasing reproductive efficiency in small ruminants. Anim Reprod Sci 2004, 82-83: 231-245 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Wade GN, Jones JE. Neuroendocrinology of nutritional infertility. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 2005, 287: R1277-R1296.
- Lozana JM, Lonergran P, Boland MP, O'Callaghan D. Influence of nutrition on the effectiveness of superovulation programmes in ewes: effect on oocyte quality and post-fertilization development. Reproduction 2003, 125: 543-553 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Kiyma Z, Alexander BM, Van Kirk EA, Murdoch WJ, Hallford DM, Moss GE. Effects of feed restriction on reproductive and metabolic hormones in ewes. J Anim Sci 2004, 82: 2548-2557 [PubMed].
- Gong JG. Influence of metabolic hormones and nutrition on ovarian follicle development in cattle: practical implications. Domest Anim Endocrinol 2002, 23: 229-241 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Wathes DC, Taylor VJ, Cheng Z, Mann GE. Follicle growth, corpus luteum function and their effects on embryo development in postpartum dairy cows. Reproduction Suppl 2003, 61: 219-237.
- Parr RA, Davis IF, Fairclough RJ, Miles MA. Overfeeding during early pregnancy reduces peripheral progesterone concentration and pregnancy rate in sheep. J Reprod Fertil 1987, 80: 317-320 [PubMed].
- Parr RA, Davis IF, Miles MA, Squires TJ. Feed intake affects metabolic clearance rate of progesterone in sheep. Res Vet Sci 1993, 55: 306-310 [PubMed].
- Oldham CM, Lindsay DR. Laparoscopy in the ewe: A photographic record of the ovarian activity of ewes experiencing normal or abnormal oestrous cycles. Anim Reprod Sci 1980, 3: 119-124 [CrossRef].
- Knight TW, Oldham CM, Lindsay DR Studies in ovine infertility in agricultural regions in Western Australia: The influence of a supplement of lupins (Lupinus angustifolius cv. Uniwhite) at joining on the reproductive performance in ewes. Austral J Agricul Res 1975, 26: 567-575.
- Downing JA, Scaramuzzi RJ. Nutrient effects on ovulation rate, ovarian function and the secretion of gonadotrophic and metabolic hormones in sheep. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 1991, 43: 209-227 [PubMed].
- Scaramuzzi RJ, Campbell BK. Physiological regulation of ovulation rate in the ewe: A new look at an old problem. In: Oldham CM, Martin GB (Eds), and IW Purvis School of Agriculture (Animal Science), Reproductive Physiology of Merino Sheep - Concepts and Consequences. The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia, 1990, p 71-84.
- Scaramuzzi RJ, Adams NR, Baird DT, Campbell BK, Downing JA, Findlay JK, Henderson KM, Martin GB, McNatty KP, McNeilly AS, Tsonis CG. A model for follicles selection and the determination of ovulation rate in the ewe. Reprod Fertil Dev 1993, 5: 459-478 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Muñoz-Gutiérrez M, Blache D, Martin GB, Scaramuzzi RJ. Folliculogenesis and ovarian expression of mRNA encoding aromatase in anoestrous sheep after 5 days of glucose or glucosamine infusion or supplementary lupin feeding. Reproduction 2002, 124: 721-731 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Downing JA, Joss J, Scaramuzzi RJ. Ovulation rate and the concentrations of gonadotrophins and metabolic hormones in ewes infused with glucose during the late luteal phase of the oestrous cycle. J Endocrinol 1995, 146: 403-410 [PubMed].
- Blache D, Tellam RL, Chagas LM, Blackberry MA, Vercoe PE, Martin GB. Level of nutrition affects leptin concentrations in plasma and cerebrospinal fluid in sheep. J Endocrinol 2000, 165: 625-637 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Muñoz-Gutiérrez M. The effect of glucose and leptin on folliculogenesis in the ewe. PhD thesis University of London, 2005.
- Downing JA, Joss J, Connell P, Scaramuzzi RJ. Ovulation rate and the concentration of gonadotrophic and metabolic hormones in ewes fed lupin grain. J Reprod Fertil 1995, 103: 137-145 [PubMed].
- Gong JG, Bramley TA, Webb R. The effect of recombinant bovine somatotrophin on ovarian follicular growth and development in heifers. J Reprod Fertil 1993, 97: 247-254 [PubMed].
- Gong JG, Baxter G, Bramley TA, Webb R. Enhancement of ovarian follicle development in heifers by treatment with recombinant bovine somatotrophin: a dose-response study. J Reprod Fertil 1997, 110: 91-97 [PubMed].
- Kendall NR, Scaramuzzi RJ, Baird DT, Campbell BK. Lupins modulate folliculogenesis directly by an FSH-independent mechanism. Reproduction 2003, Abstract Series 30: 29.
- Muñoz-Gutiérrez M, Finlay P, Adam CL, Wax G, Campbell BK, Kendall NR, Khalid M, Forsberg M, Scaramuzzi RJ. The effect of leptin on folliculogenesis and the follicular expression of mRNA encoding aromatase, IGF-IR, IGFBP-2, IGFBP-4, IGFBP-5, leptin receptor and leptin in ewes. Reproduction 2005, 130: 869-881 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Kendall NR, Scaramuzzi RJ, Baird DT, Webb R, Campbell BK. Direct in vivo effects of leptin on ovarian steroidogenesis in sheep. Reproduction 2004, 128: 757-765.
- Williams SA, Blache D, Martin GB, Scaramuzzi RJ. The effect of oral administration of a glucogenic mixture on ovulation rate and characterisation of GLUT1 and GLUT4 in sheep ovarian follicles. J Reprod Fertil 2001, 122: 947-956.
- Scaramuzzi RJ, Campbell BK, Souza CJH, Baird DT. Glucose uptake and lactate production by the autotransplanted ovary during the luteal and follicular phases of the oestrous cycle. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Reproduction in Domestic Ruminants 2002, Abstract A70.
- Leury BJ, Murray PJ, Rowe JB. Effect of nutrition on the response in ovulation rate in Merino ewes following short-term lupin supplementation and insulin administration. Austral J Agricul Res 1990, 41: 751-759.
- Campbell BK. Factors affecting ovulation rate in sheep and cattle. PhD thesis University of Sydney, 1988.
- Scaramuzzi RJ, Murray JF, Downing JA, Campbell BK. The effects exogenous growth hormone on follicular steroid secretion and ovulation rate in sheep. Domest Anim Endocrinol 1999, 17: 269-277 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Beam SW, Butler WR. Effects of energy balance on follicular development and first ovulation in postpartum dairy cows. J Reprod Fertil Suppl 1999, 54: 411-424 [PubMed].
- Bondy CA, Chin E, Zhou J. Significant species differences in local IGF-I -II gene expression. Adv Exp Med Biol 1993, 343: 73-77 [PubMed].
- Perks CM, Denning-Kendall PA, Gilmour RS, Wathes DC. Localization of messenger ribonucleic acids for insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), IGF-II, and the type 1 IGF receptor in the ovine ovary throughout the estrous cycle. Endocrinology 1995, 136: 5266-5273 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Perks CM, Peters AR, Wathes DC. Follicular and luteal expression of insulin-like growth factors I and II and the type 1 IGF receptor in the bovine ovary. J Reprod Fertil 1999, 116: 157-165 [PubMed].
- Mazerbourg S, Bondy CA, Zhou J, Monget P. The insulin-like growth factor system: a key determinant role in the growth and selection of ovarian follicles? a comparative species study. Reprod Domest Anim 2003, 38: 247-258 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Hastie PM, Haresign W. Expression of mRNAs encoding insulin-like growth factor (IGF) ligands, IGF receptors and IGF binding proteins during follicular growth and atresia in the ovine ovary throughout the oestrous cycle. Anim Reprod Sci 2006, 92: 284-299 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Leeuwenberg BR, Hurst PR, McNatty KP. Expression of IGF-I mRNA in the ovine ovary. J Mol Endocrinol 1995, 15: 251-258 [PubMed].
- Hernandez ER. Regulation of the genes for insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I and II and their receptors by steroids and gonadotropins in the ovary. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 1995, 53: 219-221 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Samaras SE, Guthrie HD, Barber JA, Hammond JM. Expression of the mRNAs for the insulin-like growth factors and their binding proteins during development of porcine ovarian follicles. Endocrinology 1993, 133: 2395-2398 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Zhou J, Adesanya OO, Vatzias G, Hammond JM, Bondy CA. Selective expression of insulin-like growth factor system components during porcine ovary follicular selection. Endocrinology 1996, 137: 4893-4901 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Muñoz-Gutiérrez M, Blache D, Martin GB, Scaramuzzi RJ. Ovarian follicular expression of mRNA encoding the type I insulin like growth factor receptor (IGF-IR) and insulin like growth factor binding protein 2 (IGFBP2) in anoestrous sheep after 5 days of glucose or glucosamine or supplementary feeding with lupin grain. Reproduction 2004, 128: 1-11 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Scaramuzzi RJ, Downing JA. The distribution of ovulations from the ovaries of Merino and Border Leicester Merino ewes and its effect on the survival of their embryos. Anim Reprod Sci 1997, 47: 327-336 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Viñoles C, Forsberg M, Martin GB, Cajarville C, Repetto J, Meikle A. Short-term nutritional supplementation of ewes in low body condition affects follicle development due to an increase in glucose and metabolic hormones. Reproduction 2005, 129: 299-309 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Viñoles GC. Effect of nutrition on follicle development and ovulation rate in the ewe. PhD thesis Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, 2003.
- Murphy MG, Enright WJ, Crowe MA, McConnell K, Spicer LJ, Boland MP, Roche JF. Effect of dietary intake on pattern of growth of dominant follicles during the oestrous cycle in beef heifers. J Reprod Fertil 1991, 92: 333-338 [PubMed].