Reprod. Nutr. Dev.
Volume 46, Number 1, January-February 2006
|Page(s)||9 - 18|
|Published online||27 January 2006|
References of Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 46 9-18
- Bassett JM. Dietary and gastro-intestinal control of hormones regulating carbohydrate metabolism in ruminants. In: McDonald IW, Warner AI (Eds), Digestion and Metabolism in the Ruminant, University of New England, Armidale 1975, p 383-398.
- Van der Walt JG. Volatile fatty acid metabolism in sheep. 3. Diurnal variation in the contribution of ruminal propionic acid production to the whole body glucose turnover of Merino sheep fed lucerne hay twice daily. Onderstepoort J Vet Res 1978, 45: 125-132 [PubMed].
- Tsuda T, Ambo K, Shoji Y, Fujita M, Sunagawa K. Distribution of energy source expenditure in warm- and cold-exposed sheep. Can J Anim Sci 1984, 64 (Suppl): 265-266.
- Van Houtert MFJ, Nolan JV, Leng RA. Protein, acetate and propionate for roughage-fed lambs. 2. Nutrient kinetics. Anim Prod 1993, 56: 369-378.
- Moloney AP. Growth and carcass composition in sheep offered isoenergetic rations which resulted in different concentrations of ruminal metabolites. Livest Prod Sci 1998, 56: 157-164 [CrossRef].
- Judson GJ, Leng RA. Studies on the control of gluconeogenesis in sheep: effect of propionate, casein and butyrate infusions. Br J Nutr 1973, 29: 175-195 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Majdoub L, Beylot M, Vermorel M, Ortigues-Marty I. Propionate supplementation did not increase whole body glucose turnover in growing lambs fed rye grass. Reprod Nutr Dev 2003, 43: 357-370 [EDP Sciences] [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Seal CJ, Parker DS. Effect of intraruminal propionic acid infusion on metabolism of mesenteric- and portal-drained viscera in growing steers fed a forage diet: I. Volatile fatty acids, glucose and lactate. J Anim Sci 1994, 72: 1325-1334 [PubMed].
- De Jong A. Patterns of plasma concentrations of insulin and glucagon after intravascular and intraruminal administration of volatile fatty acids in the goat. J Endocrinol 1982, 92: 357-370 [PubMed].
- Sano H, Hattori N, Todome Y, Tsuruoka J, Takahashi H, Terashima Y. Plasma insulin and glucagon responses to intravenous infusion of propionate and their autonomic control in sheep. J Anim Sci 1993, 71: 3414-3422 [PubMed].
- Kahn CR. Insulin resistance, insulin insensitivity, and insulin inresponsiveness: A necessary distinction. Metabolism 1978, 27 (Suppl 2): 1893-1902.
- Weekes TEC, Sasaki Y, Tsuda T. Enhanced responsiveness to insulin in sheep exposed to cold. Am J Physiol 1983, 244: E335-E345 [PubMed].
- NRC. Nutrient Requirements of Sheep. 6th ed, National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1985.
- Froetschel MA, Croom WJ Jr, Gaskins HR, Leonard ES, Whitacre MD. Effects of avoparcin on ruminal propionate production and amino acid degradation in sheep fed high and low fiber diets. J Nutr 1983, 113: 1355-1362 [PubMed].
- Janes AN, Weekes TEC, Armstrong DG. Insulin action and glucose metabolism in sheep fed on dried-grass or ground, maize-based diets. Br J Nutr 1985, 54: 459-471 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Sano H, Matsunobu S, Abe T, Terashima Y. Combined effects of diet and cold exposure on insulin responsiveness to glucose and tissue responsiveness to insulin in sheep. J Anim Sci 1992, 70: 3514-3520 [PubMed].
- Tserng K-Y, Kalhan SC. Estimation of glucose carbon recycling and glucose turnover with [U-13C]glucose. Am J Physiol 1983, 245: E476-E482 [PubMed].
- Sano H, Fujita T, Murakami M, Shiga A. Stimulative effect of epinephrine on glucose production and utilization rates in sheep using a stable isotope. Domest Anim Endocrinol 1996, 13: 445-451 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Steele R. Influences of glucose loading and of injected insulin on hepatic glucose output. Ann NY Acad Sci 1959, 82: 420-430.
- Brockman RP. Effect of insulin on the utilization of propionate in sheep. Br J Nutr 1990, 64: 95-101 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Sano H, Takebayashi A, Kodama Y, Nakamura K, Ito H, Arino Y, Fujita T, Takahashi H, Ambo K. Effects of feed restriction and cold exposure on glucose metabolism in response to feeding and insulin in sheep. J Anim Sci 1999, 77: 2564-2573 [PubMed].
- SAS. SAS/STAT® Software: Changes and enhancements through Release 6.11. SAS Inst. Inc., Cary, NC, 1996.
- Sano H, Asano K, Noguchi Y, Yoshimura K, Senshu T, Terashima Y. Insulin responsiveness, action and sensitivity in growing lambs and mature rams. Can J Anim Sci 1996, 76: 203-208.
- Sano H, Mori Y, Takahashi H, Terashima Y. Autonomic regulation of plasma insulin, glucagon and growth hormone responses to feeding in sheep fed a diet supplemented with calcium propionate. Can J Anim Sci 1999, 79: 449-456.
- Sano H, Terashima Y, Senshu T. Insulin secretory response to feeding in sheep fed a diet supplemented with calcium, potassium and sodium propionate. Jpn J Zootech Sci 1989, 60: 70-77.
- Lopez S, Hovell FD, Dijkstra J, France J. Effects of volatile fatty acid supply on their absorption and on water kinetics in the rumen of sheep sustained by intragastric infusions. J Anim Sci 2003, 81: 2609-2616 [PubMed].
- Sasaki Y, Hiratsuka H, Ishida M. Effect of cold exposure on insulin response to feeding in sheep. Can J Anim Sci 1984, 64 (Suppl): 269-270.
- Janes AN, Weekes TEC, Armstrong DG. Absorption and metabolism of glucose by the mesenteric-drained viscera of sheep fed on dried-grass or ground, maize-based diets. Br J Nutr 1985, 54: 449-458 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Ortigues-Marty I, Vernet J, Majdoub L. Whole body glucose turnover in growing and non-productive adult ruminants: meta-analysis and review. Reprod Nutr Dev 2003, 43: 371-383 [EDP Sciences] [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Evans E, Buchanan-Smith JG. Effects upon glucose metabolism of feeding a low- or high-roughage diet at two levels of intake to sheep. Br J Nutr 1975, 33: 33-44 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Brockman RP, Bergman EN. Effect of glucagon on plasma alanine and glutamine metabolism and hepatic gluconeogenesis in sheep. Am J Physiol 1975, 228: 1628-1633 [PubMed].
- Brockman RP, Greer C. Effects of somatostatin and glucagon on the utilization of [2-14C] propionate in glucose production in vivo in sheep. Aust J Biol Sci 1980, 33: 457-464 [PubMed].
- Bergman EN, Reulein SS, Corlett RE. Effects of obesity on insulin sensitivity and responsiveness in sheep. Am J Physiol 1989, 257: E772-E781 [PubMed].
- Weekes TEC. Influence of experimental hyperthyroidism on insulin action in growing sheep. Metabolism 1992, 41: 246-252 [CrossRef] [PubMed].
- Weekes TEC. Hormonal control of glucose metabolism. In: Tsuda T, Sasaki Y, Kawashima R (Eds), Physiological Aspects of Digestion and Metabolism in Ruminants, Academic Press, San Diego 1991, p 183-200.