Reprod. Nutr. Dev.
Volume 43, Number 6, November-December 2003
|Page(s)||543 - 555|
References of Reprod. Nutr. Dev. 43 (2003) 543
- Boothby DL. Do it yourself artificial insemination. In: Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Animal Production, 1985, p 337-338.
- Peters JL, Senger PL, Rosenberger JL, O'Connor ML. Radiographic evaluation of bovine artificial inseminating technique among professional and herdsman-inseminators using 0.5- and 0.25-ml French straws. J Anim Sci 1984, 59: 1671-1683.
- Schermerhorn EC, Foote RH, Newman SK, Smith RD. Reproductive practices and results in dairies using owner or professional inseminators. J Dairy Sci 1986, 69: 1673-1685.
- White MB. The impact of DIY insemination: Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Animal Reproduction, 1985, p 296.
- Wilson TD, Mclean DM, Salter CF, Bartsch BD. Reproductive performance in South Australian dairy herds. Aust Vet J 1994, 71: 75-77.
- Brightling P. Factors affecting submission and conception rates. In: Proceedings of the Australian and New Zealand Society of Animal Reproduction, 1985, p 256-283.
- Morton J. The InCalf Project. Progress Report No. 2. Dairy Research and Development Corporation, Melbourne, Australia, ISBN 0-642-44918X, 2000.
- O'Farrell KJ, Crilly J. First service calving rates in Irish dairy herds: trends from 1991-1996. BSAS occasional meeting `Fertility in high producing dairy cow', 10-22 September 1999, Galway. BSAS publication 2001, 26: 353-358.
- Ron M, Baranan R, Wiggans GR. Factors affecting conception rate of Israeli Holstein cattle. J Dairy Sci 1984, 67: 854-860.
- Senger PL, Hillers JK. Effects of serum treated semen, bulls, and herdsmen-inseminators on conception to first service in large commercial dairy herds. J Dairy Sci 1984, 67: 686-692 [PubMed].
- Macmillan KL, Watson JD. Factors influencing A.B. conception rates VII. Interactions involving semen fertility levels, sperm dose rate, and technician ability. N Z J Exp Agric 1977, 5: 11-14.
- Reurink A, Den Daas JHG, Wilmink JBM. Effects of AI sires and technicians on non-return rates in the Netherlands. Livest Prod Sci 1990, 26: 107-118.
- Taylor JF, Everett RW, Bean B. Systematic environmental, direct, and service sire effects on conception rate in artificially inseminated Holstein cows. J Dairy Sci 1985, 68: 3004-3022 [PubMed].
- Washburn SP, Silvia WJ, Brown CH, McDaniel BT, McAllister AJ. Trends in reproductive performance in Southeastern Holstein and Jersey DHI herds. J Dairy Sci 2002, 85: 244-251.
- Buckley F, Dillon P, Rath M, Veerkamp RF. The relationship between genetic merit for yield and live-weight, condition score, and energy balance of Spring-calving Holstein-Friesian dairy cows on grass-based system of milk production. J Dairy Sci 2000, 83: 1878-1886 [PubMed].
- Pryce JE, Veerkamp RF. The incorporation of fertility indices in genetic improvement programmes. BSAS occasional meeting `Fertility in high producing dairy cow', 10-22 September 1999, Galway. BSAS publication 2001, 26 (I): 237-249.
- Van Arendonk JAM, Hovenier R, De Boer W. Phenotypic and genetic association between fertility and production in dairy cows. Livest Prod Sci 1989, 21: 1-12.
- Hillers JK, Senger PL, Darlington RL, Fleming WN. Effects of production, season, age of cow, days dry, and days in milk on conception to first service in large commercial dairy herds. J Dairy Sci 1984, 67: 861-867 [PubMed].
- Jansen J, Lagerweij GW. Adjustment of non-return rates for AI technicians and dairy bulls. Livest Prod Sci 1987, 16: 363-372.
- Den Daas JHG. Prediction of bovine male fertility. Thesis,Wageningen, The Netherlands, ISBN 90-5485-757-9, 1997.
- Roche JF, Sherington J, Mitchell JP, Cunningham JF. Factors affecting calving rate to AI in cows. Ir J Agric Res 1978, 17: 149-157.
- Vishwanath R. Artificial insemination: the state of the art. Theriogenology 2003, 59: 571-584.
- Boyd H, Reed HCB. Investigations into the incidence and causes of infertility in dairy cattle influence of some management factors affecting the semen and insemination conditions. Br Vet J 1961, 117: 74-86.
- Nadir S, Saake RG, Bame J, Mullins J, Deglos S. Effect of freezing semen and dosage of sperm on number of accessory sperm, fertility, and embryo quality in artificially inseminated cattle. J Anim Sci 1993, 71: 199-204 [PubMed].
- Shannon P, Vishwanath R. The effect of optimal and sub-optimal concentrations of sperm on the fertility of fresh and frozen bovine semen and a theoretical model to explain the fertility differences. Anim Reprod Sci 1995, 39: 1-10.
- Vishwanath R. Results of LIC research. N Z Dairy Exporter 1998, 73: 122.
- Xu ZZ, Johnson DL, Burton J. Factors affecting the sex ratio in dairy cattle in New Zealand. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society of Animal Production 2000, 60: 301-302.
- ICBF. Irish cattle breeding statistics. Irish Cattle Breeding Federation, Shinagh House, Bandon. Co. Cork, 2002.
- Mee JF, Moyes T, Gleeson D, O'Brien B. A questionnaire survey of fertility management on dairy farms in the Republic of Ireland. Ir Vet J 2002, 55: 122-128.
- Langley OH. Conception rate to artificial insemination and natural service. Ir Vet J 1978, 32: 4-8.
- Macmillan KL, Curnow RJ. Factors influencing A.B. conception rates IX. Pregnancy rates to first insemination: mating with a herd sire compared with artificial insemination. N Z J Exp Agric 1977, 5: 273-278.
- Mylrea PJ. Clinical observations on reproduction in dairy cows. Aust Vet J 1962, 38: 253-258.
- Barth AD. Factors affecting fertility with artificial insemination. Vet Clin North Am Food Anim Pract 1993, 9: 275-289.
- Crosse S. The development and implementation of a computerised management information system for Irish dairy farmers. PhD thesis, National University of Ireland, 1986.
- Evans RD, Buckley F, Dillon P, Veerkamp RF. Genetic parameters for production and fertility in spring-calving Irish dairy cattle. Ir J Agric Food Res 2002, 41: 43-54.
- Kleinbaum DG. Logistic regression Springer- Verlag, New York, 1994.
- Statistics Analysis Systems Institute. User's Guide: statistics. Cary, N.C.: SAS Institute, 1991.
- Snedecor GW, Cochran WG. Statistical Methods. Iowa State University Press, Iowa, 1989.
- Montgomery DC, Peck EA, Vinning GG. Introduction to linear regression analysis. Third edition John Wiley & Sons Inc., New York, 2001.
- Nagelkerke NJD. A note on a general definition of the coefficient of determination. Biometrika 1991, 78: 691-692.
- Hosmer DW, Lemeshow S. Applied logistic regression. John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1989.
- Mackey DR, McCoy MA, Gordon AW, Mayne CS. Comparison of conception rates to artificial insemination conducted by a professional technician or by DIY. Agricultural Research Institute of Northern Ireland. In: 76th Annual Report (in press).
- Graves WM, Dowlen HH, Lamar KC, Johnson DL, Saxton AM, Montgomery MJ. The effect of artificial insemination once versus twice per day. J Dairy Sci 1997, 80: 3068-3071.
- Shannon P. Contribution of binomial variation, technician, herds, and cows to observations between cow variance of conception rates. J Dairy Sci 1965, 48: 85-89 [PubMed].
- Visser A, Shannon P, Wickham BW. Factors affecting AB conception rates in cattle. Proceedings of the New Zealand Society of Animal Production 1988, 48: 61-63.
- De Kruif A. Factors influencing the fertility of a cattle population. J Reprod Fertil 1978, 54: 507-518.
- Howells HMJ, Davies DAR, Dobson H. Influence of the number of days spent training in an abattoir with access to live cows on the efficiency of do-it-yourself artificial insemination. Vet Rec 1999, 144: 310-314.
- King GJ, Macpherson JW. Observations on retraining of artificial insemination technicians and its importance in maintaining efficiency. Can Vet J 1965, 6: 83-85.
- Senger PL. Artificial insemination technique needs attention. Bovine Proceedings 1987, 19: 114-116.
- Senger PL. Fertility factors - which ones are really important? In: Proceedings of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners 2002, 35: 112-123.
- Everett RW, Bean B. Semen fertility - an evaluation system for artificial insemination sires, technicians, herds, and systemic fixed effects. J Dairy Sci 1986, 69: 1630-1641 [PubMed].
- Wholohan JJ, O'Gorman J, Roche JF. Improving reproductive efficiency in dairy cows. Ir Vet News 1986, 8: 6-13.
- Cembrowics HJ. Efficiency of inseminators. In: Proc 5th Int Congr Anim Reprod Artif Insem 1964, 4: 624-630.
- Mann T. Relevance of physiological and biochemical research to problems in animal fertility. Proc R Soc Lond Biol Sci 1976, 193: 1-15.
- O'Farrell KJ, A comparison of natural service and artificial insemination in seasonally calving dairy herds. Ir J Agric Res 1977, 16: 251-257.
- Williamson NB, Morris RS, Anderson GA. Pregnancy rates and non-return rates following artificial and natural breeding in dairy herds. Aust Vet J 1978, 54: 111-114.